This is a rule change year for the USA Hockey Official Playing Rules. A total of 10 changes were approved during the USA Hockey Annual Congress in June of 2013. The next publication of USA Hockey Official Playing Rules will be effective for the four seasons spanning 2013-14 to 2016-17.
- Rule 411: Effective 2014-15 season – Players receiving a third major penalty for aggressive infraction shall receive a three game suspension, for the fourth major – five game suspension and for the fifth major shall be suspended until a hearing is conducted. Head coach for a team that receives three aggressive major penalties in a game shall be suspended for the next game, for a subsequent game in which the team gets three or more majors the coach shall be suspended for the next three games and for the third game in which the team gets three or more majors the head coach is suspended pending a hearing.
- Rule 601: Adds “Any player that incurs a second misconduct penalty during the same game shall be assessed a game misconduct in lieu of the second misconduct penalty”.
- Rule 603: Establishes the penalty options for boarding as a minor plus a misconduct, major plus a game misconduct or a match penalty.
- Rule 607: Establishes the penalty options for charging as a minor plus a misconduct, major plus a game misconduct or a match penalty. A note was added clarifying the difference between Interference and Charging on Goalie.
- Rule 620: Establishes the penalty options for head contact as a minor plus a misconduct, major plus a game misconduct or a match penalty.
- Rule 639: Adds “4. Extends the leg behind a player and takes their feet out from under them, especially when used in conjunction with a push to the chest area”.
Officials & Equipment
- Rule 201: Adds “Only players in uniform and properly rostered Team Officials may occupy the player’s bench”.
- Rule 304: Adds “HECC certification includes an expiration date on the sticker and any helmet that has passed its expiration date is no longer considered certified. The player may not wear a helmet without a valid and current certification date”.
- Rule 308: Adds “(b) No electronic device shall be used to question, challenge or dispute a game official’s decision or judgment while the game is in progress”.
- Rule 502: All on-ice officials shall be required to wear a half shield visor.